For marriage minded singles, holiday time can be a lonely time of year and having them feel kind of blue although they may be surrounded by family and friends. This holiday season can be a stark reminder that you are single among a couples world.
I remember what it was like being divorced and the only one in my family who was not in a coupled relationship. I felt like I was missing something. And if you desire to be in a relationship, that can be heartbreaking! Then, add those unwanted comments by family members about your dating status — this all can drive you crazy!
For marriage minded singles to keep your spirits up the positive psychology gurus recommend that we focus on what we have, instead of what we don’t have. Gratitude is the key! Here are some strategies for you to maintain a mindset of gratitude during the holidays and for the year ahead!
1. Be appreciative about what you do have: fulfilling or steady work whether you get a regular paycheck or have a thriving business. Many of my clients are accomplished people who are productive members of society. Not everyone is so fortunate.
2. Think of those people in your life who appreciate you and who are positively impacted by your relationship.
3. Remember that there are people (or a pet) who may depend on you be it your children, or even parents or a relative that you may be taking care of. These people need you and love you. Think about how fortunate you are to have such family connections.
4. Remind yourself of all the people in your life who have helped you achieve your goals and supported you in your journey. You can show them your gratitude by writing a simple thank you letter. Expressing your appreciation is a very important relationship skill you can practice now. They will be thrilled to hear from you.
5. Think about ways that you can have given to others and helped others along their journey in their life. How have you given to others with your time, and/or financial resources? How have you made a difference in their lives? You can be grateful that you can do this for others.
Most of my clients have very full lives with caring family, friends and meaningful work or endeavors. I bet you do too!
One of the ways to really steep yourself in gratitude is to keep a gratitude journal. I recommend that everyday you write down 3 things you are grateful for. Try it! You will find it’s not that hard to do. I’d love to know how this goes for you.
By focusing on what you do have instead of the things you don’t have in your life will help keep you in a positive frame of mind. Moreover, exuding a positive attitude is very attractive among marriage minded singles.
I am grateful for having you as part of my community of marriage minded singles. I look forward to supporting your goal of finding your marriage mate in the coming months. Let’s make 2016 the year you find true and lasting love!
I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving and holiday season.
PS. Let me know how you stay positive and grateful for the people and things you have in your life. I’d love to hear your comments and your thoughts on this blog post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with my marriage minded singles community!